Photo by Tom Couture
In association with Make Music NY, New York’s largest free outdoor music festival, Guitar World Magazine and NYC Guitar School are hosting Mass Appeal: Guitars on June 21, 2012. Players of all ages, styles, and skill levels are invited to join a massive ensemble of guitarists in Union Square to collectively play pre-selected songs.
The festivities begin at 4:00 PM in Union Square with mini practice sessions and booths by event sponsors including Guitar World Magazine, NYC Guitar School, Lagunitas Brewery, Agile Partners (AmpKit, GuitarToolkit), La Bella Strings, Marshall Headphones, and more. Live music will be provided by local NYC band, The Spanish Channel. Check them out at: http://www.thespanishchannel.net/.
The play-along will begin at 5:30 PM. Participants will need to bring their own guitar. The following songs will be performed as a group:
1) One Love by Bob Marley (led by Brooklyn Guitar School Director Shane Chapman, Queens Guitar School Director Cariad Harmon, and NYC Guitar School Director Jenn Elliott)
2) Wonderwall by Oasis (led by local high school students from KIPP (Knowledge Is Power Program)
3) Horse With No Name by America (led by Jay Moran of VH1, VH1 Classic, and VH1 Save the Music Foundation)
4) What’s Up by 4 Non Blondes (led by Laura B. Whitmore, journalist for Guitar World Magazine and producer of The Women’s Music Summit)
5) Hey Joe by Jimi Hendrix (led by Jimmy Brown from Guitar World Magazine)
6) Rolling in the Deep by Adele (led by voice instructors Clara Lafano and Rebecca Rossi from Brooklyn Piano and Voice)
Mark Feldmen of Bang The Drum will perform percussion for the play-along.
Following the first six songs, world-renowned guitarist Alex Skolnick (of Testament and Alex Skolnick Trio) will be joined by some of his favorite New York-based global musicians to premier his brand new world music project, “Planetary Coalition.”
Skolnick comments on his new undertaking, “I’ve often flirted with the idea of putting together a mostly acoustic, ethnically flavored combo of diverse improvisers from all over the world, one that ties together metal music’s power and passion with that of Gypsy, Mediterranean, Middle Eastern, Asian, African, Latin and other international and indigenous cultures. So when the opportunity arose to perform at “Make Music New York,” a city-wide music festival in one of the world’s largest, most multicultural meccas, it felt like the perfect situation to try out such an endeavor.” Find out more about Alex Skolnick at: http://www.alexskolnick.com/
Skolnick will conclude the play-along with the final song, Smoke On the Water by Deep Purple.
For more information, song charts and instructional videos, please visit: http://www.meetup.com/mass-appeal-guitars/events/63987342/
Mass Appeal: Guitars is being held as part of Make Music NY, a live, free musical celebration all across New York City on June 21st, the longest day of the year. Find out more at http://makemusicny.org/